How to maximize your summer enjoyment as you go through the Allergy Elimination Process.
Allergy Elimination permanently eliminates the body’s sensitivity and reactivity to individual allergens, like tree pollen, grass pollen, and animal dander. However as this process occurs over a period of weeks rather than overnight, it is likely that a patient will still experience uncomfortable symptoms during the elimination period.
At the completion of the process a patient will be symptom free, but until them it is important to take active steps to minimize any residual symptoms so that you can feel your best.
THINGS TO DO:
- Invest in a Neti pot and the prepackaged doses of nasal rinse. Use your Neti pot at strategic times, like immediately after spending time outdoors.
- Important: Do not rinse multiple times daily! This will disrupt the Ph balance of the mucous membranes of the nasal passages and increase your risk of developing sinus infections.
- Wash your face and hands after every exposure. Simple face washing immediately after time spent outside will dramatically decrease your reactivity/ sensitivity to pollen.
- Wear a hat with a brim while you are outside. A brimmed hat will prevent some pollen from getting in your eyes and triggering an attack.
- Contact Lens Wearers: Wash and rinse your lenses a couple of times during the day.
- For contact lens and non-contact lens wearers alike: invest in a bottle of eye wash solution. Rinse your eyes thoroughly after every exposure.
- Shower and wash your face and hair before bed. This prevents your from taking any pollen that is caught on your hair into bed and onto your pillow where you will roll in it during the night.
Remember: Allergy elimination is a process. The sooner you begin the process the sooner the rest of your life is symptom free.